Friday, August 07, 2015

The famous true story about London drowning in Porter.

Well, a small part of London at least.

This story bears repeating every few years. It's about the Great Porter Flood of 1814, and it testifies to the scale of Porter's popularity at the time.

Too Much of a Good Thing, by Dan Piepenbring (The Paris Review)

 ... I guess I can tell you a little about it: how it began at the Meux and Company Brewery on Tottenham Court Road, where an enormous vat ruptured, unleashing more than a hundred thousand imperial gallons of beer ...

Earlier tonight, I enjoyed a Bob's Old 15-B Porter from NABC, the first one I'd consumed in a while. It was delicious, and reminded me of how much I enjoy the style. 20 years ago, we drank plenty of Porter.

When Michael "Beer Hunter" Jackson came to the Public House in 1994, the only full pint he drank was one filled with Sierra Nevada Porter, which we cherished at the time.

I'm on a quest to return to basics, and rediscover fundamentals that while not entirely lost, surely are undervalued in today's beer market.

As the weather cools, I'll be drinking more Porter.

No comments: