Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Arts and beer in Evansville.

I'm not a frequent visitor to Evansville, but I try to make it "down" there (the city is down river from Louisville, after all) whenever possible.

NABC has had lots of good friends from Evansville, and my mother was born and raised in nearby Henderson, Kentucky. In fact, back in 2008, I penned a brief essay about my family gathering held at the Executive Inn.

I'm reporting live from the beautiful Hotel Volga in downtown Bucharest, Romania, where the mystery meat in gray sauce was featured at the recent Plenum of the Workers' Party 18th Conference ... no, wait; my mistake. Actually I'm at the Executive Inn in Evansville, Indiana, for my family (mom's side) reunion.

I didn't disturb me in the slightest when I heard it was demolished three years later.



But don't get me wrong; I like Evansville, and to me, one of the happiest Indiana beer stories in recent years has been the advent of Tin Man and Carson's breweries in Evansville, joining Turoni's/Main Street.

They're good breweries and good people, and a town the size of Evansville needs them. It remains an unexploited better beer market, but that seems to be changing.

Last year, I noticed an arts-related story about Evansville. It's a great read, which fairly weighs the good and bad points about arts-led revitalizations.

"Best of All Possible Worlds": An amazing tale about a public art contest in Evansville, Indiana.


This brings me to another article, this one in Indianapolis Monthly.

Why Indy’s Creative Class Loves Evansville Right Now

If all you know about Indiana’s third-largest city is that Madonna slept there while filming A League of Their Own, it’s time to get reacquainted.

A brain sandwich and Tin Man Rivet sound good to me. It's time to head back that way.

No comments: