Saturday, July 05, 2014

Diary: “All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."

It was a very strange dream. I’m beginning to think it’s time for me to take a long vacation, or maybe find another line of work. I'm not ruling out therapy.

In the dream, I was having a meeting with a beer wholesaler. My cooler was filled with bottles of NABC beer. We tasted all of them. I was talking about how we had beers of proven merit, with more than a decade in market. There was existing brand recognition, and a sales history. It’s a no-brainer, I said. You need to take us on.

Came the reply: “No. We have too many brands already, and we cannot give you the attention you deserve.”

It was fairly disappointing, but it wasn’t the first rejection ever, and so I started packing up my kit. Before I was finished, another brewery rep came into the room. He was very young.

Hi, he said. I represent a brewery that has no beer. In fact, as yet, we have no brewery. But once we actually start brewing, you won’t want to be without us, so can we just tie the knot right now?

Of course, replied the wholesaler. Come right in and join us.

Really? As Dino might have crooned, “Ain’t that a kick in the head.”

Given my reputation, which at widely scattered intervals is deserved, you might reasonably assume I’d be annoyed or angered by this turn of events. Perhaps in real life, this would have been the exact reaction. However, this was a dream, and dreams mean absolutely nothing, and so I pulled my cooler into the restroom to splash water onto my face.

It’s when I noticed my beard was white, and that’s really bizarre – because I no longer have a beard. I shaved it off, and everyone says I look younger.

I wonder what it all means?

No comments: